Islington Council fined £220k after boy loses part of his finger in school ‘sanding machine accident’
- Credit: Archant
Islington Council has been ordered to pay nearly £220,000 after a boy lost part of his finger in a horrifying school accident.
The council confirmed the incident involved a sanding machine. It happened at a school in the borough on March 14, 2014. Neither the school or pupil can be named for legal reasons.
At Southwark Crown Court yesterday, the authority pleaded guilty to failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety Act.
An Islington spokesman said today: “This was a serious injury, which could have been prevented. We’re very sorry this happened and apologise to our student and his family.
“Since this accident in 2014 we have introduced comprehensive new procedures for health and safety in our schools.”
You may also want to watch:
He added that in sentencing, the judge took into account those changes “made in relation to health and safety provision at its schools, and the fact the council pleaded guilty at the first opportunity”.
As well as a £200,000 fine, it must also pay £19,865.77 in court costs.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller