Revealed: Islington's best market stalls
- Credit: ©2021 Steve Bainbridge
Three of Islington’s best-loved traders were honoured this week at the Market Trader of the Year competition.
Seven Sisters Road fruit and veg seller Keith West, Whitecross-based Kurdish food specialist Chalang Rashid, and Chapel Market fashion trader Jennifer Rowley took the honours.
Islington Council received a record number of public votes to decide the winner of the 2021 competition which included the five markets across the borough.
Keith West, winner of the Food category, said “It’s amazing that so many people from the local community took the time to vote for me. It’s humbling, you know it really, really is - I’m chuffed.”
The three will receive £150 off their pitch rent. Three customers who nominated them for the award will get a £50 voucher to spend on their chosen trader’s stall.
Chalang Rashid, Takeaway winner, added: "I think that Islington markets are special because everyone is working hard and looking after customers.”
Jennifer Rowley won the Non-Food category and the presentation was made outside her stall.
- 1 Layout of new LTN around Upper Street revealed
- 2 CCTV: Footage of man sought by officers investigating sexual assault
- 3 Islington's Tory councillor calls for LTNs to be scrapped
- 4 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 5 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 6 Reclaim the Night: Women demand end to gendered violence in north London
- 7 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 8 Islington's Young Blessed Gifted sets up hip hop concert
- 9 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021