Islington Councillor announces bid to replace Boris as Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Green Party’s Caroline Russell will also run for a place on the London Assembly
Cllr Russell, who was elected as a representative for Highbury East and the sole opposition to the Labour council in May last year also came third in Islington North in last month’s general election with more than 10 per cent of the vote.
The Green Party’s national spokesperson for local transport will also run for a place on the London Assembly.
Cllr Russell said: “If elected as the Green Party’s Mayoral candidate I will promote London as an example to the world of how economic prosperity can go hand in hand with a green revolution that radically improves the quality of the homes we live in, the streets we use and the air we breathe.
“These priorities demand serious innovation – but London is the most innovative city in the world. London has the chance to be at the forefront of a worldwide revolution in green technology and social innovation, and all Londoners will benefit.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Russell is a long time campaigner on issues of clean air, cycling and road safety, and these issues are likely to be key to her campaign in the bid for city hall.
If chosen by her party she could come up against Islington resident Christian Wolmar and former Arsenal and England captain Sol Campbell in the race to replace current Mayor Boris Johnson who will focus his full attention on his role as MP for Uxbridge.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 9 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 10 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
The Green Party’s current London Assembly members Jenny Jones and Darren Johnson have both endorsed Cllr Russell’s London Assembly campaign.
Mr Johnson said: “Caroline Russell has an impressive track record as a campaigner, a proven ability to win elections and invaluable experience as a local councillor, all of which means she will be a huge asset for the Green Party as a London Assembly Member. Vote for Caroline for experience and vision in City Hall”
The Green Party’s nominations for Mayor close on June 29 and internal voting will take place between August 3 and August 30,