Islington gets a Young Labour group
- Credit: Archant
Young Labour supporters in Islington are launching a new group for 2019 which plans to tackle political issues and get more young people involved in politics.
Aiming to foster greater enthusiasm for politics among young people, the Islington Young Labour Group is planning to campaign for a Labour government both within the borough and nationally.
Co-secretary of the group Jan Backara, 24, said: “Since Jeremy Corbyn became leader of the Labour party, it has inspired a lot more young people like ourselves to become members.
“When starting the group, I thought it would be a really nice way to bring these like minded-people together and talk about politics.”
He added: “Everyone has the same idea of what to do.
You may also want to watch:
“We just wanted to spark people’s initiative, and let people know that there are others like them looking to make some changes.”
Co-chair of the group Keir Harris, 23, agreed.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
He said: “We wanted to create a proper youth network to help make friends, campaign together and start talking about things that matter to us.”
He added: “Hopefully this will help bring more young people out to vote – and hopefully it convinces even more of them to vote Labour in the next general election!”
Islington North MP and Leader of the Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn had kind words for the group.
He said: “I am delighted to hear that Islington North and South are launching a Young Labour group which will complement the excellent work already being done by Labour right across the borough of Islington.
“It’s so important that we harness the enthusiasm and energy of our young people and I wish Keir Harris and his friends all the very best with this invaluable project.”
To celebrate its launch, Islington Young Labour Group will be holding an event which includes live music, a free buffet, and special guest speakers from across the Labour world.
Keir added: “It’s open for all ages and for anyone, be they a member, supporter, or just interested in the Labour Party. Friends and family are more than welcome too.”
The event is free entry and is being held on Saturday at The Prince Alfred pub at 7:30pm.