Islington gets a Young Labour group
- Credit: Archant
Young Labour supporters in Islington are launching a new group for 2019 which plans to tackle political issues and get more young people involved in politics.
Aiming to foster greater enthusiasm for politics among young people, the Islington Young Labour Group is planning to campaign for a Labour government both within the borough and nationally.
Co-secretary of the group Jan Backara, 24, said: “Since Jeremy Corbyn became leader of the Labour party, it has inspired a lot more young people like ourselves to become members.
“When starting the group, I thought it would be a really nice way to bring these like minded-people together and talk about politics.”
He added: “Everyone has the same idea of what to do.
“We just wanted to spark people’s initiative, and let people know that there are others like them looking to make some changes.”
Co-chair of the group Keir Harris, 23, agreed.
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 4 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 5 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 6 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 8 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 9 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 10 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
He said: “We wanted to create a proper youth network to help make friends, campaign together and start talking about things that matter to us.”
He added: “Hopefully this will help bring more young people out to vote – and hopefully it convinces even more of them to vote Labour in the next general election!”
Islington North MP and Leader of the Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn had kind words for the group.
He said: “I am delighted to hear that Islington North and South are launching a Young Labour group which will complement the excellent work already being done by Labour right across the borough of Islington.
“It’s so important that we harness the enthusiasm and energy of our young people and I wish Keir Harris and his friends all the very best with this invaluable project.”
To celebrate its launch, Islington Young Labour Group will be holding an event which includes live music, a free buffet, and special guest speakers from across the Labour world.
Keir added: “It’s open for all ages and for anyone, be they a member, supporter, or just interested in the Labour Party. Friends and family are more than welcome too.”
The event is free entry and is being held on Saturday at The Prince Alfred pub at 7:30pm.