Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn: Iraq war was a disaster
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The Iraq war was branded a “seminal disaster” by Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn this week.
Speaking at House of Commons debate over a delay to the publication of the Chilcot Inquiry - launched to learn lessons from the conflict - the member for Islington North said: “We have had inquiry after inquiry after inquiry on Iraq.
“Parliament showed it was a failure and couldn’t do it... we then ended up with the Chilcot Inquiry.
“The cynicism we meet on the doorstep as we approach an election is in part because of the contempt Parliament showed on that particular day.
“The idea MPs were now aware of the misinformation concerning Iraq really doesn’t cut much ice. We had the dodgy dossier.
You may also want to watch:
“It was utter nonsense. Who could possibly believe this stuff? The House did. Some members of the UN Security Council did.”
At the end of Thursday’s debate, a non-binding Commons motion was passed noting regret that the inquiry has deferred publication of its report until after the general election, calling for a timetable for publication, and asking for an explanation of the delays.
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules