Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn: Iraq war was a disaster
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The Iraq war was branded a “seminal disaster” by Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn this week.
Speaking at House of Commons debate over a delay to the publication of the Chilcot Inquiry - launched to learn lessons from the conflict - the member for Islington North said: “We have had inquiry after inquiry after inquiry on Iraq.
“Parliament showed it was a failure and couldn’t do it... we then ended up with the Chilcot Inquiry.
“The cynicism we meet on the doorstep as we approach an election is in part because of the contempt Parliament showed on that particular day.
“The idea MPs were now aware of the misinformation concerning Iraq really doesn’t cut much ice. We had the dodgy dossier.
You may also want to watch:
“It was utter nonsense. Who could possibly believe this stuff? The House did. Some members of the UN Security Council did.”
At the end of Thursday’s debate, a non-binding Commons motion was passed noting regret that the inquiry has deferred publication of its report until after the general election, calling for a timetable for publication, and asking for an explanation of the delays.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'