Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn: Iraq war was a disaster
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The Iraq war was branded a “seminal disaster” by Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn this week.
Speaking at House of Commons debate over a delay to the publication of the Chilcot Inquiry - launched to learn lessons from the conflict - the member for Islington North said: “We have had inquiry after inquiry after inquiry on Iraq.
“Parliament showed it was a failure and couldn’t do it... we then ended up with the Chilcot Inquiry.
“The cynicism we meet on the doorstep as we approach an election is in part because of the contempt Parliament showed on that particular day.
“The idea MPs were now aware of the misinformation concerning Iraq really doesn’t cut much ice. We had the dodgy dossier.
You may also want to watch:
“It was utter nonsense. Who could possibly believe this stuff? The House did. Some members of the UN Security Council did.”
At the end of Thursday’s debate, a non-binding Commons motion was passed noting regret that the inquiry has deferred publication of its report until after the general election, calling for a timetable for publication, and asking for an explanation of the delays.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 4 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020