Islington’s Boris Johnson ambushes Nick Clegg on LBC radio show
- Credit: Archant
London mayor and Islington resident Boris Johnson ambushed Nick Clegg on a radio phone in show this morning – urging him and his cabinet colleagues to “get out of their posh limos” and onto public transport.
Posing as listener “Boris from Islington”, he recorded a message for LBC 97.3 radio’s weekly slot with the deputy prime minister to demand more spending on the capital’s transport system.
But Mr Clegg insisted the coalition Government had cut spending on ministerial cars by around 70 per cent and challenged the Tory mayor to make use of billions of pounds worth of Treasury guarantees for infrastructure projects.
In the pre-recorded message, Mr Johnson said: “Hi Nick, it’s Boris here from Islington.
“I just want to ask you when are you going to get all those government ministers out of their posh limos and onto public transport like everybody else?
You may also want to watch:
“How can we possibly expect Government to vote for increases in infrastructure spending which we need in this city and upgrading the Tube, which we all need, when they sit in their chauffeur-driven limousines – paid for by the taxpayer – rather than getting down on public transport with the rest of us?
“Nick, get them out of their limos! Boris, over and out.”
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 3 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 4 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 5 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 6 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 7 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 8 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows