Islington’s Boris Johnson ambushes Nick Clegg on LBC radio show
- Credit: Archant
London mayor and Islington resident Boris Johnson ambushed Nick Clegg on a radio phone in show this morning – urging him and his cabinet colleagues to “get out of their posh limos” and onto public transport.
Posing as listener “Boris from Islington”, he recorded a message for LBC 97.3 radio’s weekly slot with the deputy prime minister to demand more spending on the capital’s transport system.
But Mr Clegg insisted the coalition Government had cut spending on ministerial cars by around 70 per cent and challenged the Tory mayor to make use of billions of pounds worth of Treasury guarantees for infrastructure projects.
In the pre-recorded message, Mr Johnson said: “Hi Nick, it’s Boris here from Islington.
“I just want to ask you when are you going to get all those government ministers out of their posh limos and onto public transport like everybody else?
You may also want to watch:
“How can we possibly expect Government to vote for increases in infrastructure spending which we need in this city and upgrading the Tube, which we all need, when they sit in their chauffeur-driven limousines – paid for by the taxpayer – rather than getting down on public transport with the rest of us?
“Nick, get them out of their limos! Boris, over and out.”
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know