Islington’s new Mayor Cllr Kat Fletcher has knife crime in her sights
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Kat Fletcher has been formally appointed Mayor of Islington.
In a statement today the new mayor, who is a councillor in the St George’s ward, said: “I am delighted to become the Mayor of Islington, which really is a tremendous honour.”
Throughout her year in office Cllr Fletcher will be supporting and raising funds for the Ben Kinsella Trust, which tackles knife crime across London.
“Tackling knife crime and keeping our young people safe are massive priorities for the council, and the Ben Kinsella Trust does invaluable work in this area,” she said.
Una O’Halloran, councillor for Caledonian ward, has been announced as the deputy mayor.
You may also want to watch:
Pick up a copy of the Gazette on May 25 for a full interview with the new Mayor as she outlines her plans for the year ahead.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins