Islington’s new Mayor Cllr Kat Fletcher has knife crime in her sights
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Kat Fletcher has been formally appointed Mayor of Islington.
In a statement today the new mayor, who is a councillor in the St George’s ward, said: “I am delighted to become the Mayor of Islington, which really is a tremendous honour.”
Throughout her year in office Cllr Fletcher will be supporting and raising funds for the Ben Kinsella Trust, which tackles knife crime across London.
“Tackling knife crime and keeping our young people safe are massive priorities for the council, and the Ben Kinsella Trust does invaluable work in this area,” she said.
Una O’Halloran, councillor for Caledonian ward, has been announced as the deputy mayor.
You may also want to watch:
Pick up a copy of the Gazette on May 25 for a full interview with the new Mayor as she outlines her plans for the year ahead.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 7 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 8 'Havoc' as squirrels invade Old Street council block
- 9 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
- 10 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover