Islington’s new mayor ready to make music
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Richard Greening named as 51st modern mayor of borough
Islington’s next mayor has been named as Cllr Richard Greening.
The councillor was sworn in at a meeting of the full council on Thursday night last week.
Cllr Greening will be the borough’s figurehead for the next 12 months, while his wife Patricia Bradbury, who was mayor in the 1970s, will be his consort.
He said: “Charities play a vital part in our community and make a very real difference to local lives, despite budget pressures and constant challenges.
You may also want to watch:
“I look forward to celebrating and championing their work over the next 12 months.”
The mayor’s charity for 2015/16 will be Music First.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 8 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
He said: “Music First helps children in many ways and not just with music – it influences the other aspects of their lives.”
He added: “I want to help many more Islington children enjoy music-making and the benefits that it brings them by choosing Music First as my charity.”
The deputy mayor of Islington for the next year will be Cllr Kat Fletcher.