Islington’s new mayor ready to make music
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Richard Greening named as 51st modern mayor of borough
Islington’s next mayor has been named as Cllr Richard Greening.
The councillor was sworn in at a meeting of the full council on Thursday night last week.
Cllr Greening will be the borough’s figurehead for the next 12 months, while his wife Patricia Bradbury, who was mayor in the 1970s, will be his consort.
He said: “Charities play a vital part in our community and make a very real difference to local lives, despite budget pressures and constant challenges.
You may also want to watch:
“I look forward to celebrating and championing their work over the next 12 months.”
The mayor’s charity for 2015/16 will be Music First.
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 How much do you know about Islington?
- 3 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 4 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 5 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 6 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 7 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 8 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 9 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 10 'Eidevall has turned Arsenal from believers into contenders'
He said: “Music First helps children in many ways and not just with music – it influences the other aspects of their lives.”
He added: “I want to help many more Islington children enjoy music-making and the benefits that it brings them by choosing Music First as my charity.”
The deputy mayor of Islington for the next year will be Cllr Kat Fletcher.