Islington’s new mayor ready to make music
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Richard Greening named as 51st modern mayor of borough
Islington’s next mayor has been named as Cllr Richard Greening.
The councillor was sworn in at a meeting of the full council on Thursday night last week.
Cllr Greening will be the borough’s figurehead for the next 12 months, while his wife Patricia Bradbury, who was mayor in the 1970s, will be his consort.
He said: “Charities play a vital part in our community and make a very real difference to local lives, despite budget pressures and constant challenges.
You may also want to watch:
“I look forward to celebrating and championing their work over the next 12 months.”
The mayor’s charity for 2015/16 will be Music First.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 4 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
He said: “Music First helps children in many ways and not just with music – it influences the other aspects of their lives.”
He added: “I want to help many more Islington children enjoy music-making and the benefits that it brings them by choosing Music First as my charity.”
The deputy mayor of Islington for the next year will be Cllr Kat Fletcher.