Jeremy Corbyn fans Raleigh together to buy him a bike
- Credit: PA WIRE
As a proud cyclist, Jeremy Corbyn’s ultimate bike would be an aluminium-framed Raleigh Criterium. He said so in a recent interview.
But the Islington North MP and Labour leader could never have predicted the response this comment would get.
An online campaign - Let’s get Jez his dream bike! - was set up for Mr Corbyn’s fans to donate cash for him to buy the bike. It had raised £7,318 as of 10am this morning.
But in true Corbyn style, he has refused to accept the money, which will instead be donated to a charity of the campaign organiser’s choice.
He said on Friday, when £6,000 had been raised: “I’d like to say a huge thanks to every person that has donated.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s truly humbling and I’m pleased that others will now benefit from this, as the organisers have suggested that they donate the substantial excess money raised to a charity of their choice.
“I will also be donating the cost of the bike to charity.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 9 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey