Jeremy Corbyn fans Raleigh together to buy him a bike
- Credit: PA WIRE
As a proud cyclist, Jeremy Corbyn’s ultimate bike would be an aluminium-framed Raleigh Criterium. He said so in a recent interview.
But the Islington North MP and Labour leader could never have predicted the response this comment would get.
An online campaign - Let’s get Jez his dream bike! - was set up for Mr Corbyn’s fans to donate cash for him to buy the bike. It had raised £7,318 as of 10am this morning.
But in true Corbyn style, he has refused to accept the money, which will instead be donated to a charity of the campaign organiser’s choice.
He said on Friday, when £6,000 had been raised: “I’d like to say a huge thanks to every person that has donated.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s truly humbling and I’m pleased that others will now benefit from this, as the organisers have suggested that they donate the substantial excess money raised to a charity of their choice.
“I will also be donating the cost of the bike to charity.”
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 3 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 10 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run