Labour increases Islington Council majority after storming to victory in two by-elections
- Credit: Archant
Labour has increased its majority on Islington Council after sweeping to victory in two by-elections yesterday.
Kaya Makarau-Schwartz topped the poll in Junction ward and her fellow Labour candidate Kat Fletcher won in St George’s.
Both secured well over half of the votes in their wards, while Labour has increased its presence on the council with 36 councillors, up from 35. The remaining 12 seats are held by the Liberal Democrats.
Cllr Makarau-Schwartz replaces Arthur Graves, who was elected as a Liberal Democrat but quit the party in 2012 to become an independent. Cllr Makarau-Schwartz lives in Archway and works for a mental health charity.
Pub landlord Kat Fletcher takes over from Labour’s Jessica Asato, who stood down to contest a parliamentary seat in Norwich. Cllr Fletcher used to run the Tufnell Park Tavern in Tufnell Park Road, Tufnell Park, and is now in charge of The Lansdowne in Primrose Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Junction ward saw a turnout of 24 per cent with 2,180 of the 9,007-strong electorate casting their ballots. Cllr Makarau-Schwartz pulled in 62 per cent, with 1,343 votes. Mick Holloway of the Green Party came a distant second with 381.
Cllr Fletcher won 71 per cent in St George’s, gaining 1,698 of the 2,391 votes. The turnout saw 26 per cent of the 9,239 eligible residents cast their votes. The Liberal Democrats were far behind in second, with Julian Gregory winning 371.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 7 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
- 8 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 9 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 10 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover