New anti-theft initiative sends out warning to burglars in Islington
Hundreds of homes in Islington will be better protected against burglars thanks to funding for a new crime deterrent.
The SmartWater system marks valuables with a unique chemical that makes it easy for police to identify and return stolen goods.
Following a previous successful initiative, a further �4,000 of funding has been agreed by Islington’s North MAGPI panel, which is run by the council with police, social landlords, street outreach services and other partners.
More than 200 kits will be sent to homes identified as at risk by police in Hillrise, Junction, Tollington and St George’s wards. Extra anti-burglar patrols will be carried out.
Cllr Barbara Sidnell, executive member for community safety, said: “This will give extra protection and peace of mind to people and make burglars think twice. It’s a simple message – if you break into a home in Islington, you now stand a bigger chance of getting caught.”
You may also want to watch:
Ch Insp Claire Clark, in charge of neighbourhood policing for Islington Police, said: “Our Safer Neighbourhoods teams will be carrying out extra reassurance patrols and distributing the kits to vulnerable people and repeat victims.”
Islington’s four MAGPI panels help to target crime and anti-social behaviour, and also award funding for anti-crime initiatives. For more, visit www.islington.gov.uk/safer
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series