‘Real leadership’ expected of Islington’s new youth bosses
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s “invaluable” new youth leaders were announced today.
Diana Gomez is the new Young Mayor of Islington after being elected by her fellow youth councillors.
Tega Agbede will be her deputy mayor, while Serkan Marasli was elected as Islington’s new Member of Youth Parliament.
Youth Cllrs Gomez, Agbede and Marasli will be expected to hold their senior counterparts to account and campaign for the interests of their fellow young people in the borough.
Youth Cllr Gomez said: “I’m delighted to be elected. My aim is to represent and engage in order to make Islington a great place for us all to enjoy, learn and achieve our goals.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Joe Caluori, the town hall’s leader for young people, said: “Listening to their voices is central to making Islington a fairer borough for all.
“The youth council provides real leadership for young people in Islington and the insights and the challenges they provide us with are invaluable.”
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 3 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 7 Whittington NHS bosses announce maternity transformation plans
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 10 St George's Day, Partners Islington, LTNs and Local Plan policy
Islington Youth Council was elected last year, but mayors change hands every year. For more information, visit izzy-info.com