‘Real leadership’ expected of Islington’s new youth bosses
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s “invaluable” new youth leaders were announced today.
Diana Gomez is the new Young Mayor of Islington after being elected by her fellow youth councillors.
Tega Agbede will be her deputy mayor, while Serkan Marasli was elected as Islington’s new Member of Youth Parliament.
Youth Cllrs Gomez, Agbede and Marasli will be expected to hold their senior counterparts to account and campaign for the interests of their fellow young people in the borough.
Youth Cllr Gomez said: “I’m delighted to be elected. My aim is to represent and engage in order to make Islington a great place for us all to enjoy, learn and achieve our goals.”
Cllr Joe Caluori, the town hall’s leader for young people, said: “Listening to their voices is central to making Islington a fairer borough for all.
“The youth council provides real leadership for young people in Islington and the insights and the challenges they provide us with are invaluable.”
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 3 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 4 Husband granted right to use late wife's embryo for surrogacy
- 5 Actors present prizes at Islington Education Awards 2022
- 6 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 7 'White lives matter' graffiti removed in Archway after two months
- 8 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 9 Caledonian artist attempting to paint 100 London pubs
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Islington Youth Council was elected last year, but mayors change hands every year. For more information, visit izzy-info.com