‘Real leadership’ expected of Islington’s new youth bosses
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s “invaluable” new youth leaders were announced today.
Diana Gomez is the new Young Mayor of Islington after being elected by her fellow youth councillors.
Tega Agbede will be her deputy mayor, while Serkan Marasli was elected as Islington’s new Member of Youth Parliament.
Youth Cllrs Gomez, Agbede and Marasli will be expected to hold their senior counterparts to account and campaign for the interests of their fellow young people in the borough.
Youth Cllr Gomez said: “I’m delighted to be elected. My aim is to represent and engage in order to make Islington a great place for us all to enjoy, learn and achieve our goals.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Joe Caluori, the town hall’s leader for young people, said: “Listening to their voices is central to making Islington a fairer borough for all.
“The youth council provides real leadership for young people in Islington and the insights and the challenges they provide us with are invaluable.”
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
Islington Youth Council was elected last year, but mayors change hands every year. For more information, visit izzy-info.com