Single parent waiting for refund from Islington housing association
A single parent wrongfully charged a huge sum of rent says he has been waiting months for a refund.
Ash Youseff, 34, overpaid �1,400 in housing benefit to Genesis Housing Association after a miscalculation when he was studying and looking after his seven-year-old daughter, Jasmine.
The error occurred between 2007 and 2012 when he lived on the Highbury Quadrant Estate and the Gridlestone Estate in Archway.
Mr Youseff moved to the council-owned Milner Square in February and has been asking for his money back since then. He said: “I am a single parent and things can be difficult financially. This money would help a great deal.”
A Genesis spokesman said: “Genesis has been in contact with Mr Youssef up to three times a week regarding his account. Once housing benefit confirmed there was a credit we carried out the correct procedure, which is requested by law, to process his refund.
‘‘The time it takes to process the refund is standard and it is not true that we have delayed payment. We have explained this frequently to Mr Youssef.”
- 1 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 2 Meet the Islington-based Rangers fans who are helping food banks
- 3 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
- 8 'Let's avoid another lockdown': Warning for Islington to be cautious
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas