Single parent waiting for refund from Islington housing association
A single parent wrongfully charged a huge sum of rent says he has been waiting months for a refund.
Ash Youseff, 34, overpaid �1,400 in housing benefit to Genesis Housing Association after a miscalculation when he was studying and looking after his seven-year-old daughter, Jasmine.
The error occurred between 2007 and 2012 when he lived on the Highbury Quadrant Estate and the Gridlestone Estate in Archway.
Mr Youseff moved to the council-owned Milner Square in February and has been asking for his money back since then. He said: “I am a single parent and things can be difficult financially. This money would help a great deal.”
A Genesis spokesman said: “Genesis has been in contact with Mr Youssef up to three times a week regarding his account. Once housing benefit confirmed there was a credit we carried out the correct procedure, which is requested by law, to process his refund.
You may also want to watch:
‘‘The time it takes to process the refund is standard and it is not true that we have delayed payment. We have explained this frequently to Mr Youssef.”
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 3 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat