St Peter’s residents take to the polls today
Residents in St Peter’s ward head to the polls today to chose a new councillor – and will cast their votes at two new venues.
A by-election is taking place after Labour councillor Shelley Coupland resigned in June, saying she wanted to focus on clearing her name after facing criminal charges over benefit irregularities.
She is accused of failing to notify the Department for Work and Pensions that she was paid for council duties between 2006 and 2008, which resulted in an alleged overpayment of �11,343.
Due to building works at the ward’s usual polling stations, St Peter’s residents must vote at St John Evangelist Primary School in Duncan Street, Islington, and Popham and Cumming Community Centre in Popham Street, Islington.
The five candidates are: Caroline Allen (Green Party), a veterinary surgeon. Richard Bunting (Conservative), a 38-year-old finance and IT worker. Alice Perry (Labour), 30, who works at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Rutherford, (Independent) who is chairman of the Popham Estate residents association.
David Sant (Liberal Democrat), a lawyer.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking