London Met fire: All teaching resumes and open day going ahead following blaze beside Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium
- Credit: Archant
Teaching at London Met University has resumed today in the aftermath of a blaze that saw dozens of firefighters scrambled to the Tower complex.
Staff and students were free to return to the Holloway Road campus from 9am for lectures and seminars, but all floors of the G Block and Benwell Road buildings remain closed for cleaning and ventilation to clear fire, smoke and water damage.
The fire brigade was called just before 6am yesterday morning and spent four hours getting the blaze in an IT room on the ground floor under control. Damage is limited to one room but with other areas nearby affected by smoke and water.
An open day is scheduled for tomorrow between 11am and 3pm, which will go ahead as planned.
A university spokesman said: “We would like to thank staff and students for their patience and their support during this challenging day and we would like to thank the London Fire Brigade, Islington Council and London Metropolitan Police for their swift and professional response.”
You may also want to watch:
The university’s other buildings in Islington – the learning centre and science centre in Hornsey Road – were not affected by the fire and remain open. The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
Students can check londonmet.ac.uk for updates on when access restrictions will be lifted. Students are also asked to check their personal timetables on the university’s CMIS-Go system for an update on any changes to teaching rooms.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream