London Met fire: Uni building shut and roads by Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium closed as firefighters tackle blaze
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of firefighters tackled a blaze this morning at London Met University, in the shadow of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium.
The whole of an IT room on the ground floor of the Tower complex was on fire, London Fire Brigade said, with “heavy smoke” on four floors of the building.
Brigade station manager Richard Arnold said: “Firefighters have located a fire in an IT room on the ground floor.
“Thankfully no one was involved but the university has confirmed lessons in the Tower complex and enrolment will be suspended today.”
Benwell Road was shut between Hornsey Road and Bryantwood Road just beside the stadium.
You may also want to watch:
The brigade was called just before 6am and spent four hours getting the blaze under control. Fifty-eight firefighters from crews at Holloway, Islington, Kentish Town, Soho and Stoke Newington fire stations were at the scene at its height.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault