London Met fire: Uni building shut and roads by Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium closed as firefighters tackle blaze
- Credit: Archant
Dozens of firefighters tackled a blaze this morning at London Met University, in the shadow of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium.
The whole of an IT room on the ground floor of the Tower complex was on fire, London Fire Brigade said, with “heavy smoke” on four floors of the building.
Brigade station manager Richard Arnold said: “Firefighters have located a fire in an IT room on the ground floor.
“Thankfully no one was involved but the university has confirmed lessons in the Tower complex and enrolment will be suspended today.”
Benwell Road was shut between Hornsey Road and Bryantwood Road just beside the stadium.
You may also want to watch:
The brigade was called just before 6am and spent four hours getting the blaze under control. Fifty-eight firefighters from crews at Holloway, Islington, Kentish Town, Soho and Stoke Newington fire stations were at the scene at its height.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets