Lord of the Rings actor appointed president of Islington theatre
- Credit: Archant
Lord of the Rings star Andy Serkis is the new president of Young Actors Theatre in Islington.
Serkis, the world’s leading performance capture artist who is best known for his portrayal of Gollum in the film adaptations of JRR Tolken’s novels, was joined by X-Men star Nicholas Hoult at the theatre in Barnsbury Road as he launched the theatre’s 360 campaign at a special evening on Tuesday.
The 360 – Young Actors Theatre Dramatically Changing Young People’s Lives project will be raising money to support young people in the community to benefit from YATI through free acting classes and group workshops.
“I’m delighted to become YATI’s President, said Serkis.
“It’s so important for young people to get every chance in life and Young Actors Theatre does that. Not only do they help develop communication, social and professional skills, they also instil confidence and nurture talent and creativity.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s never been more vital to encourage young people to get involved in the arts and benefit from the life changing opportunities they can get from it.
“Young Actors Theatre epitomises this and I hope to be able to encourage more young people to come and a be a part of this vibrant, exciting and inclusive community theatre.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Serkis’s other top roles include playing Kong in King Kong and Ceaser in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and part of his role will be to act as an ambassador for YATI.
Gail Cohen, Chair of Young Actors Theatre, said, “We are thrilled Andy has agreed to become our President – acting as an inspirational role model to young people and giving back to YATI. With his support we can reach out to so many more young people across London and give them the chance to benefit from this magical place. As someone who has been close to YATI for so many years, Andy knows all too well the impact we can have on a young person’s life.”