Lord of the Rings actor appointed president of Islington theatre
- Credit: Archant
Lord of the Rings star Andy Serkis is the new president of Young Actors Theatre in Islington.
Serkis, the world’s leading performance capture artist who is best known for his portrayal of Gollum in the film adaptations of JRR Tolken’s novels, was joined by X-Men star Nicholas Hoult at the theatre in Barnsbury Road as he launched the theatre’s 360 campaign at a special evening on Tuesday.
The 360 – Young Actors Theatre Dramatically Changing Young People’s Lives project will be raising money to support young people in the community to benefit from YATI through free acting classes and group workshops.
“I’m delighted to become YATI’s President, said Serkis.
“It’s so important for young people to get every chance in life and Young Actors Theatre does that. Not only do they help develop communication, social and professional skills, they also instil confidence and nurture talent and creativity.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s never been more vital to encourage young people to get involved in the arts and benefit from the life changing opportunities they can get from it.
“Young Actors Theatre epitomises this and I hope to be able to encourage more young people to come and a be a part of this vibrant, exciting and inclusive community theatre.”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Serkis’s other top roles include playing Kong in King Kong and Ceaser in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and part of his role will be to act as an ambassador for YATI.
Gail Cohen, Chair of Young Actors Theatre, said, “We are thrilled Andy has agreed to become our President – acting as an inspirational role model to young people and giving back to YATI. With his support we can reach out to so many more young people across London and give them the chance to benefit from this magical place. As someone who has been close to YATI for so many years, Andy knows all too well the impact we can have on a young person’s life.”