Lucas Torreira is a ‘bright talent’ says Arsenal head coach Unai Emery
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal’s new £25 million signing Lucas Torreira has been praised by head coach Unai Emery after joining the club on Tuesday.
The 22 year-old has just returned from representing his country at the World Cup in Russia, where he played in all five matches as they progressed to the quarter-finals.
Lucas shone during his country’s 3-0 victory over Russia and in the 2-1 win over Ronaldo’s Portugal in the second round.
The Gunners landed the Fray Bentos-born defensive midfielder from Serie A side Sampdoria.
Speaking to Arsenal.com Emery said: “In Lucas Torreira, we have signed a young player who is a very bright talent in the game.
“A midfielder with great quality, I have enjoyed watching his performances for Sampdoria in the past two seasons, and we all saw him do very well for Uruguay in the World Cup.
“He is a young player already with good experience, but who wants to keep on growing.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 3 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 4 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 5 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 6 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 9 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
“We welcome Lucas to Arsenal and look forward to him joining us soon for pre-season.”
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29 and join the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page for all your latest Gunners news.