Lucas Torreira is a ‘bright talent’ says Arsenal head coach Unai Emery
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal’s new £25 million signing Lucas Torreira has been praised by head coach Unai Emery after joining the club on Tuesday.
The 22 year-old has just returned from representing his country at the World Cup in Russia, where he played in all five matches as they progressed to the quarter-finals.
Lucas shone during his country’s 3-0 victory over Russia and in the 2-1 win over Ronaldo’s Portugal in the second round.
The Gunners landed the Fray Bentos-born defensive midfielder from Serie A side Sampdoria.
Speaking to Arsenal.com Emery said: “In Lucas Torreira, we have signed a young player who is a very bright talent in the game.
You may also want to watch:
“A midfielder with great quality, I have enjoyed watching his performances for Sampdoria in the past two seasons, and we all saw him do very well for Uruguay in the World Cup.
“He is a young player already with good experience, but who wants to keep on growing.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 10 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
“We welcome Lucas to Arsenal and look forward to him joining us soon for pre-season.”
Follow Arsenal reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29 and join the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page for all your latest Gunners news.