Lucky escape for woman in Bath Street fire ‘caused by discarded cigarette’
- Credit: Archant
London Fire Brigade has warned smokers to be 100 per cent sure their cigarette has been stubbed out after an early hours flat fire in Bath Street.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the blaze, in the south of the borough near Old Street, at 3am on Saturday. It was caused by a discarded cigarrete coming into contact with bedding.
A woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and half the third floor flat was damaged by the blaze, which took 90 minutes to bring under control.
A brigade spokesperson said: “Smoking vastly increases the risk of having a fire in your home.
“We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
You may also want to watch:
“If you don’t you are at risk of starting a fire that could destroy not only your home but your life and the lives of your loved ones.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal