Search

Lucky escape for woman in Bath Street fire ‘caused by discarded cigarette’

PUBLISHED: 08:16 13 February 2018 | UPDATED: 08:26 13 February 2018

The scene of the fire in Bath Street. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

The scene of the fire in Bath Street. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

Archant

London Fire Brigade has warned smokers to be 100 per cent sure their cigarette has been stubbed out after an early hours flat fire in Bath Street.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the blaze, in the south of the borough near Old Street, at 3am on Saturday. It was caused by a discarded cigarrete coming into contact with bedding.

A woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and half the third floor flat was damaged by the blaze, which took 90 minutes to bring under control.

A brigade spokesperson said: “Smoking vastly increases the risk of having a fire in your home.

“We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t you are at risk of starting a fire that could destroy not only your home but your life and the lives of your loved ones.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Islington Gazette