Luiz delighted to score first Arsenal goal as defender hails spirit in Bournemouth win
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
David Luiz was delighted to score his first Arsenal goal in Sunday’s 1-0 win over Bournemouth, and praised the Gunners’ spirit to see off a second-half fight back from the Cherries.
The Brazilian headed the winner on nine minutes, but the home side had to weather a storm of Bournemouth pressure as they looked for an equaliser.
Speaking about his goal, Luiz said: "It's an amazing feeling.
"I'm so happy to be here and so happy to score my first goal and help us to win."
On the performance, he added: "When it's 1-0, if you don't concede, you win the game. I think it was more about that.
You may also want to watch:
"Our style is to play with the ball, but sometimes it's good to understand if you have to win 1-0.
"Players like Ceballos, like Matteo, they were fighting like holding midfielders trying to help us.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
"You see Auba pressing three defenders and I think that's the spirit of the team.
"These kind of games give us a lot of things for the future.
"We could have scored more in the first half, but we controlled the game.
"The second-half was more of a typical Premier League match. Bournemouth have amazing players, so the second half was more difficult.
"They created some chances, we created some chances and it's always like that.
"When you have the opportunities to kill the match, you have to try to kill the match. If not, all the teams have the quality to come back.
"In the second-half, they were trying to come back into the game but we were strong enough to keep the clean sheet and win the game."