Made in Islington: Lonsdale Stone Precast, the Queen’s cast stone manufacturer in Barnsbury
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured or produced right here in Islington. This week, we found that the Queen and Kate Moss have something in common at Lonsdale Stone Precast.
Not many manufacturers can claim to have the Queen as a client.
But Lonsdale Stone Precast, in Barnsbury, has been able to do just that – for the past 20 years.
The family business, which has operated from Lonsdale Place since 1960, makes stone lawn path edgings for the Buckingham Palace gardens.
Anthony Pugh, whose uncle Ernie Lower founded the company with Fred Shaw, said: “We make architectural cast stone, purpose-made for buildings. Our main clients are construction companies, but we also have individual clients as a lot of people are project managing their own home these days.”
You may also want to watch:
Lonsdale Stone Precast also makes products such as window sills and copings, and has worked on the homes of actor Bob Hoskins in Hampstead and model Kate Moss in St John’s Wood.
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey