Made in Islington: Lonsdale Stone Precast, the Queen’s cast stone manufacturer in Barnsbury
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured or produced right here in Islington. This week, we found that the Queen and Kate Moss have something in common at Lonsdale Stone Precast.
Not many manufacturers can claim to have the Queen as a client.
But Lonsdale Stone Precast, in Barnsbury, has been able to do just that – for the past 20 years.
The family business, which has operated from Lonsdale Place since 1960, makes stone lawn path edgings for the Buckingham Palace gardens.
Anthony Pugh, whose uncle Ernie Lower founded the company with Fred Shaw, said: “We make architectural cast stone, purpose-made for buildings. Our main clients are construction companies, but we also have individual clients as a lot of people are project managing their own home these days.”
Lonsdale Stone Precast also makes products such as window sills and copings, and has worked on the homes of actor Bob Hoskins in Hampstead and model Kate Moss in St John’s Wood.
- 1 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 2 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 3 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 7 Fire damage repairs begin on Ironmonger Row Baths centre
- 8 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 9 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 10 New Islington chief wants to give children 'equal opportunities'