Made in Islington: Lonsdale Stone Precast, the Queen’s cast stone manufacturer in Barnsbury
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured or produced right here in Islington. This week, we found that the Queen and Kate Moss have something in common at Lonsdale Stone Precast.
Not many manufacturers can claim to have the Queen as a client.
But Lonsdale Stone Precast, in Barnsbury, has been able to do just that – for the past 20 years.
The family business, which has operated from Lonsdale Place since 1960, makes stone lawn path edgings for the Buckingham Palace gardens.
Anthony Pugh, whose uncle Ernie Lower founded the company with Fred Shaw, said: “We make architectural cast stone, purpose-made for buildings. Our main clients are construction companies, but we also have individual clients as a lot of people are project managing their own home these days.”
You may also want to watch:
Lonsdale Stone Precast also makes products such as window sills and copings, and has worked on the homes of actor Bob Hoskins in Hampstead and model Kate Moss in St John’s Wood.
- 1 Islington shooting victim named
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller