Made in Islington: Love of ginger beer at root of new Holloway brewery’s mission
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured or produced right here in Islington. This week, we spoke to the man behind a new boozy ginger beer brewery.
A new independent brewery in Holloway Road is embarking on a mission to make the best alcoholic ginger beer around.
Umbrella Brewing, housed in a unit behind the old Crown pub, is run by cocktail expert Matthew Armitage, who has gone from making beverages to creating them.
He will be working with Alastair Tatton, Andy Kerr and Stephen Thompson, who run a host of East End boozers and had to completely transform the fire-damaged industrial unit before they could move in.
At the root of Matthew’s mission is his love of the traditional drink.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to create a ginger beer that’s really fiery, not too sweet and more alcoholic than what’s on the market.” he told the Gazette. “Ten years ago everyone was drinking WKD and Smirnoff Ice but now it’s moved to fruit ciders and ginger beer. We want to take it out of that and show it’s an amazing drink.”
For a full list of stockists, or to buy online, click here.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets