Made in Islington: Love of ginger beer at root of new Holloway brewery’s mission
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured or produced right here in Islington. This week, we spoke to the man behind a new boozy ginger beer brewery.
A new independent brewery in Holloway Road is embarking on a mission to make the best alcoholic ginger beer around.
Umbrella Brewing, housed in a unit behind the old Crown pub, is run by cocktail expert Matthew Armitage, who has gone from making beverages to creating them.
He will be working with Alastair Tatton, Andy Kerr and Stephen Thompson, who run a host of East End boozers and had to completely transform the fire-damaged industrial unit before they could move in.
At the root of Matthew’s mission is his love of the traditional drink.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to create a ginger beer that’s really fiery, not too sweet and more alcoholic than what’s on the market.” he told the Gazette. “Ten years ago everyone was drinking WKD and Smirnoff Ice but now it’s moved to fruit ciders and ginger beer. We want to take it out of that and show it’s an amazing drink.”
For a full list of stockists, or to buy online, click here.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault