Made in Islington: Watches and Madonna music videos at Gleave and Co, St John Street
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Islington. This week, we spoke to watch maker Gleave and Co in Clerkenwell.
Like many parts of our borough, Clerkenwell has undergone huge change over the years.
But watch maker and part supplier Gleave and Co, in St John Street, has been one constant.
Joseph Gleave opened the shop in 1948 and it remains in the family: son Graham has run the business since Joseph’s death in 1982.
Though its main business is supplying watch and clock parts, it also makes watches.
You may also want to watch:
One Gleave and Co pocket watch even featured in the video for Madonna’s “Bad Girl” single in 1993.
Graham said: “The watches we make are mainly retro style, and there are half a dozen varieties.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
“We use Swiss movements but the cases are designed and made in our shop. Our watch maker produces the mould and then casts the cases.”