Made in Islington: Watches and Madonna music videos at Gleave and Co, St John Street
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Islington. This week, we spoke to watch maker Gleave and Co in Clerkenwell.
Like many parts of our borough, Clerkenwell has undergone huge change over the years.
But watch maker and part supplier Gleave and Co, in St John Street, has been one constant.
Joseph Gleave opened the shop in 1948 and it remains in the family: son Graham has run the business since Joseph’s death in 1982.
Though its main business is supplying watch and clock parts, it also makes watches.
You may also want to watch:
One Gleave and Co pocket watch even featured in the video for Madonna’s “Bad Girl” single in 1993.
Graham said: “The watches we make are mainly retro style, and there are half a dozen varieties.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
“We use Swiss movements but the cases are designed and made in our shop. Our watch maker produces the mould and then casts the cases.”