Made in Islington: Watches and Madonna music videos at Gleave and Co, St John Street
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Islington. This week, we spoke to watch maker Gleave and Co in Clerkenwell.
Like many parts of our borough, Clerkenwell has undergone huge change over the years.
But watch maker and part supplier Gleave and Co, in St John Street, has been one constant.
Joseph Gleave opened the shop in 1948 and it remains in the family: son Graham has run the business since Joseph’s death in 1982.
Though its main business is supplying watch and clock parts, it also makes watches.
One Gleave and Co pocket watch even featured in the video for Madonna’s “Bad Girl” single in 1993.
Graham said: “The watches we make are mainly retro style, and there are half a dozen varieties.
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 3 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 4 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 5 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 8 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 9 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 10 ‘A pillar of the community’: Tributes paid to Des from Islington Wine
“We use Swiss movements but the cases are designed and made in our shop. Our watch maker produces the mould and then casts the cases.”