Made in Islington: Watches and Madonna music videos at Gleave and Co, St John Street
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Islington. This week, we spoke to watch maker Gleave and Co in Clerkenwell.
Like many parts of our borough, Clerkenwell has undergone huge change over the years.
But watch maker and part supplier Gleave and Co, in St John Street, has been one constant.
Joseph Gleave opened the shop in 1948 and it remains in the family: son Graham has run the business since Joseph’s death in 1982.
Though its main business is supplying watch and clock parts, it also makes watches.
You may also want to watch:
One Gleave and Co pocket watch even featured in the video for Madonna’s “Bad Girl” single in 1993.
Graham said: “The watches we make are mainly retro style, and there are half a dozen varieties.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
“We use Swiss movements but the cases are designed and made in our shop. Our watch maker produces the mould and then casts the cases.”