Made in Islington: Wedding cakes made entirely of cheese in Camden Passage
- Credit: Archant
Each week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Islington. This week, we visit cheese shop Pistachio & Pickle, in Camden Passage, to hear about their stinking alternatives to wedding cakes.
Islington has rich dairy heritage. In the 19th century, there were 170 dairy retailers in the borough.
Appropriate, then, that about 200 years on, there is a shop that produces wedding cakes that are made entirely of cheese.
Steve Cooper, owner of Pistachio & Pickle in Camden Passage, says: “Cheese ‘cakes’ are becoming more and more popular with wedding parties as well as birthdays. It’s an alternative to the sweet cake.
“We like to make them as personalised as possible to the couple. So if they are from the south west, we may base the ‘cake’ on cheddar.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been open for three years and have been doing them pretty much since then. We are doing quite a few now. One was for 200 people, so we build it up layer by layer.”
For more information, visit pistachioandpickle.com
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller