Made in Islington: Wedding cakes made entirely of cheese in Camden Passage
- Credit: Archant
Each week, we take to the streets to unearth something being manufactured right here in Islington. This week, we visit cheese shop Pistachio & Pickle, in Camden Passage, to hear about their stinking alternatives to wedding cakes.
Islington has rich dairy heritage. In the 19th century, there were 170 dairy retailers in the borough.
Appropriate, then, that about 200 years on, there is a shop that produces wedding cakes that are made entirely of cheese.
Steve Cooper, owner of Pistachio & Pickle in Camden Passage, says: “Cheese ‘cakes’ are becoming more and more popular with wedding parties as well as birthdays. It’s an alternative to the sweet cake.
“We like to make them as personalised as possible to the couple. So if they are from the south west, we may base the ‘cake’ on cheddar.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been open for three years and have been doing them pretty much since then. We are doing quite a few now. One was for 200 people, so we build it up layer by layer.”
For more information, visit pistachioandpickle.com
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild