Man behind cutting edge dance at Sadler’s Wells receives CBE
The man behind cutting edge and world class performances at Sadler’s Wells has received a CBE for his services to dance. Alastair Spalding, chief executive and artistic director, has established the theatre as a leading venue for dance in the UK under his tenure over the past eight years.
Shortly after taking on the role in 2005, having already worked as director of programming since 2000, he announced his vision for the venue in Rosebery Avenue, Finsbury, to become a producing house.
He has since driven the commissioning, producing and co-producing of more than 80 shows, many of which have been seen at Sadler’s Wells, off site locations and at venues across the world, including acclaimed cross art form collaborations zero degrees, PUSH and Sutra.
It has also presented highly ambitious programmes of cutting edge dance in all its forms, hosted world class national and international companies and artists including The Forsythe Company, Pina Bausch Tanztheater Wuppertal, Ballet Nacional de Cuba and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures.
Of the honour, he said: “I am absolutely delighted to receive this honour. I see it as recognition not just for myself but also for the people who have made my achievements possible. That includes everyone working behind the scenes at Sadler’s Wells and all the artists and performers that I have had the privilege to work with.’’
You may also want to watch:
His other credits include being appointed a national member of the Arts Council of England Board in January 2009.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital