Search

Man rescued from fire in flat above Archway Tavern

PUBLISHED: 15:39 19 November 2018 | UPDATED: 15:39 19 November 2018

The Archway Tavern. Picture: Dieter Perry

The Archway Tavern. Picture: Dieter Perry

Dieter Perry

Firefighters rescued a man from his bedsit above the Archway Tavern this morning after it went up in flames.

Crews pitched a 9-metre ladder to the window of the building and brought him to safety. He was then taken to hospital by medics.

A small part of the second-floor flat was damaged in the blaze.

Station Manager Neil Guyett, who was at the scene, said: “Firefighters fast actions when they arrived meant he was rescued quickly and safely from the property. We believe that the fire was caused by a tea light left unattended.

“It’s really important you never leave them unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else which can easily catch fire.”

The pub is still closed despite freeholder Enterprise Inns and the council urging leaseholder Dr Imitaz Sardar to open it.

The brigade was called at 6.45am and the fire was under control in half-an-hour. Two engines and 10 firefighters from Holloway and Hornsey attended.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette