Man rescued from fire in flat above Archway Tavern
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters rescued a man from his bedsit above the Archway Tavern this morning after it went up in flames.
Crews pitched a 9-metre ladder to the window of the building and brought him to safety. He was then taken to hospital by medics.
A small part of the second-floor flat was damaged in the blaze.
Station Manager Neil Guyett, who was at the scene, said: “Firefighters fast actions when they arrived meant he was rescued quickly and safely from the property. We believe that the fire was caused by a tea light left unattended.
“It’s really important you never leave them unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else which can easily catch fire.”
You may also want to watch:
The pub is still closed despite freeholder Enterprise Inns and the council urging leaseholder Dr Imitaz Sardar to open it.
The brigade was called at 6.45am and the fire was under control in half-an-hour. Two engines and 10 firefighters from Holloway and Hornsey attended.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 7 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 8 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing