Man who died after being dragged 100 yards by car in Islington “lived his life to the full”

Ben Farrell (left), with brother Oli who died after an incident on Essex Road on Sunday

Ben Farrell (left), with brother Oli who died after an incident on Essex Road on Sunday - Credit: Archant

The brother of an Islington man who died on Wednesday (November 20) has said he feels “lucky to have grown up with him”.

Oliver Farrell, 27, was dragged 100 yards by a car in Essex Road at 2am on Sunday and suffered severe head injures.

He had been leaning through the passenger side window, having a conversation with its driver, when the vehicle drove off.

He was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken to an East London hospital, but died of his injuries more than 48 hours later.

Oliver, originally from Derbyshire, moved to Islington in 2011 to be near to his older brother, who described him as a loyal brother, son and friend who “lived his life to the full”.

“I feel so lucky to have grown up with him – he was one of the greatest guys I’ve ever known,” said Ben Farrell, 30.

“It’s honestly so hard to believe all the things Oli’s done in his life – because he’s just done so much.

Most Read

“He wanted to travel after he left university and he would work so hard to raise money so he could do that. When he came back, he would save up all over again.

“But, while he might have gone around the world, the first thing he would do when he came back was visit his family and friends and have fun with them – he was just so loyal.

“He worked hard and played hard and that’s why we received tributes to him from all over the world. He was something else.”

Oli, who lived in the Finsbury Park area, was working as a recruitment consultant for City firm Jam Recruitment when he died.

A spokesperson for the company said that the office was still struggling to come to terms with what had happened.

“Oli was a consummate professional, a friend to everyone and one of the rising stars of the Company. He was a caring, supportive, committed and fun guy, he will be sorely missed.”

The driver of the car, a 57-year-old man, handed himself in to North London police station. He was released on bail until January.