Manchester United 2 Arsenal 1: Player ratings
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal slipped to an injury-time defeat against old rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.
Read Layth Yousif’s player ratings here:
David Ospina: 7 - Solid and showed good reactions, but what does his long-term future hold after this season?
Hector Bellerin: 7.5 - With other influential first teamers rested was it a risk to play the pacy Spainiard? Yes. But one that has to be taken given the paucity of experience available. Excellent block from Alexis Sanchez’s header deserved better than for it to hit the post and rebound back for Pogba to head home.
Calum Chambers: 7 - Gave his all in a workmanlike performance. If he can add consistency to his game he could yet have a long term future. Will benefit from a new boss that will drill him defensively
You may also want to watch:
Konstantinos Mavropanos: 7 - The Greek centre-half is an undoubted talent after his composed appearances for the U23s but it was indicative of the dearth of resources available that he was required to make his debut in the maelstrom of a match at Old Trafford.
Sead Kolasinac: 7 - His mid-season dip after an excellent start to the season looks to be behind him. Adds physicality to the side.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
Granit Xhaka: 7.5 - Offered a steadfast defensive shield by showing a disciplined mind in keeping his shape to thwart United in the middle.
Ainsley Maitland Niles: 7 - Worked hard in a position more suited to his talents, as a defensive-minded, right-sided midfielder, rather than, say, left back as he been asked to play.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan: 8 - The former Red Devil posed a threat throughout the match and his persistence was rewarded with an excellent strike early in the second half after drilling the ball across De Gea.
Alex Iwobi: 6 - Struggled to impose himself in the match and was mostly a bystander.
Reiss Nelson: 6.5 - Gave his all but not as influential as he would have liked.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 7 - How Arsenal could do with his threat on Thursday night in Madrid. Even if he was not as influential as he has been recently.
Danny Welbeck 6.5 - on for Nelson.
Nacho Monreal 6.5 - on for Kolasinac.
Joe Willock: 6.5 on for Mkhitaryan.