Manchester United 2 Arsenal 1: Player ratings
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal slipped to an injury-time defeat against old rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.
Read Layth Yousif’s player ratings here:
David Ospina: 7 - Solid and showed good reactions, but what does his long-term future hold after this season?
Hector Bellerin: 7.5 - With other influential first teamers rested was it a risk to play the pacy Spainiard? Yes. But one that has to be taken given the paucity of experience available. Excellent block from Alexis Sanchez’s header deserved better than for it to hit the post and rebound back for Pogba to head home.
Calum Chambers: 7 - Gave his all in a workmanlike performance. If he can add consistency to his game he could yet have a long term future. Will benefit from a new boss that will drill him defensively
You may also want to watch:
Konstantinos Mavropanos: 7 - The Greek centre-half is an undoubted talent after his composed appearances for the U23s but it was indicative of the dearth of resources available that he was required to make his debut in the maelstrom of a match at Old Trafford.
Sead Kolasinac: 7 - His mid-season dip after an excellent start to the season looks to be behind him. Adds physicality to the side.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 7 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
Granit Xhaka: 7.5 - Offered a steadfast defensive shield by showing a disciplined mind in keeping his shape to thwart United in the middle.
Ainsley Maitland Niles: 7 - Worked hard in a position more suited to his talents, as a defensive-minded, right-sided midfielder, rather than, say, left back as he been asked to play.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan: 8 - The former Red Devil posed a threat throughout the match and his persistence was rewarded with an excellent strike early in the second half after drilling the ball across De Gea.
Alex Iwobi: 6 - Struggled to impose himself in the match and was mostly a bystander.
Reiss Nelson: 6.5 - Gave his all but not as influential as he would have liked.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: 7 - How Arsenal could do with his threat on Thursday night in Madrid. Even if he was not as influential as he has been recently.
Danny Welbeck 6.5 - on for Nelson.
Nacho Monreal 6.5 - on for Kolasinac.
Joe Willock: 6.5 on for Mkhitaryan.