Massive fire rips through Upper Holloway street
- Credit: Archant
Blaze thought to have started in a truck - 35 firefighters needed to get flames under control
A huge fire has ripped through a busy street causing chaos this afternoon.
The inferno is thought to have started in a truck in Hornsey Road, Upper Holloway, just before 3pm.
Flames then spread to shop, tearing quickly through the building and causing serious damage.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters were needed to tackle the blaze and they had the situation under control by about 4.10pm.
You may also want to watch:
An eye witness said: “I was riding down Hornsey Road on my bike, I reached the junction where I saw thick black smoke.
“When I arrived at the scene I saw a truck ablaze with a local officer ushering people to move away from the fire.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 8 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Islington district seal victory over Camden
“The fire grew and soon the whole truck was ablaze with the wind carrying the flames to the closest building also setting it alight. “Then the first fire engine arrived quickly setting up to handle the fire.
“Soon afterwards another fire engine arrived and used multiple jets to put out the fire.
“My friend was close by and could see the black smoke from the bottom of Hornsey Road.”
Other witnesses took to Twitter.
One, @CakeFace_Makeup said: “Just saw a huge fire in the electrical shop on Hornsey Road. Avoid the area.”
Another, @dannysmith added: “Big fire on the Hornsey Road. Hope everyone’s OK.”
A spokesman from London Fire Brigade (LFB), said: “Firefighters were called to a shop fire on Hornsey Road in Upper Holloway this afternoon.
“The ground floor of the end-of-terrace shop was badly damaged by the blaze.
“Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers from Hornsey, Holloway, West Hampstead, Euston, Tottenham and Islington fire stations attended the incident.
“The cause of the fire is under investigation.”