Sadiq Khan signs off £24 million for Islington to build 131 new council homes
- Credit: Archant
Sadiq Khan has pledged nearly £25 million worth of funding for Islington to build new council homes with.
The £24.2m boost comes from the Mayor of London’s through the GLA’s Building Council Homes for Londoners programme.
The cash influx will allow Islington to deliver an additional 131 new council homes by 2022.
And this is on top of the 555 council homes already on the way, bringing the total homes expected by that date to 681.
Islington’s housing chief, Cllr Diarmaid Ward, said: “We are delighted to have secured £24.2m of funding from the Mayor of London to support the council’s flagship new council homes programme.
You may also want to watch:
“London’s housing crisis has been beyond critical for far too long, and there is a desperate need for genuinely affordable housing to help people in very difficult circumstances.”
He added: “The council has been lobbying the government for some time for greater funding flexibility.”
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 Arsenal Women player of the season award nominations
Leader Cllr Richard Watts also welcomed the injection and the new homes.