Sadiq Khan signs off £24 million for Islington to build 131 new council homes
- Credit: Archant
Sadiq Khan has pledged nearly £25 million worth of funding for Islington to build new council homes with.
The £24.2m boost comes from the Mayor of London’s through the GLA’s Building Council Homes for Londoners programme.
The cash influx will allow Islington to deliver an additional 131 new council homes by 2022.
And this is on top of the 555 council homes already on the way, bringing the total homes expected by that date to 681.
Islington’s housing chief, Cllr Diarmaid Ward, said: “We are delighted to have secured £24.2m of funding from the Mayor of London to support the council’s flagship new council homes programme.
You may also want to watch:
“London’s housing crisis has been beyond critical for far too long, and there is a desperate need for genuinely affordable housing to help people in very difficult circumstances.”
He added: “The council has been lobbying the government for some time for greater funding flexibility.”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Leader Cllr Richard Watts also welcomed the injection and the new homes.