Ben Kinsella Award and Mayor’s Civic Awards 2019: Nominate and celebrate ‘people’s selfless commitment and dedication’
- Credit: Archant
Readers can now nominate Islington’s most inspirational adults and young people for the Mayor’s Civic Award and Ben Kinsella Award.
The annual awards celebrate the every day altruism, achievements and good deeds that help create a kinder Islington for everyone.
The Ben Kinsella Award, an eponymous commemoration of the Holloway schoolboy who was tragically stabbed to death, goes to a remarkable young person, under the age of 18.
It honours role models in the community, who may have overcome personal adversity, and always give their all for others.
In a joint statement the Kinsella family said: “This Ben Kinsella Award salutes the kindness, self-sacrifice and good work done by young people to help and enrich the lives of others.
You may also want to watch:
“The Kinsella family hope that this award will inspire many more young people to make positive contributions to their community.”
Last year’s recipient, Artur Ahmati, scooped the gong for helping the Child Active Involvement Service, which tries to improve the lives of youngsters in care.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
The year before it went to an inspirational cadet, Sgt Sarah Adegboyega.
The Mayor’s Civic Award acknowledges the contributions made by volunteers, campaigners and fundraisers to create positive change in the community.
The mayor of Islington, Cllr Dave Poyser said: “It is the people of Islington that truly make our borough the welcoming and caring community it is.
“The awards are a chance to show that the borough appreciates and recognises people’s selfless commitment and dedication.
“It is a chance to come together to celebrate and thank those who work tirelessly for the benefit of others.”
If you would like to nominate someone to receive either a Civic Award or the Ben Kinsella Award use the link online at: islington.gov.uk/about-the-council/who-we-are/how-the-council-works/the-mayor/mayors-civic-award and complete the application form.
Nominations close on Friday 18 January 2019.
And winners will be announced at a glitzy ceremony in Islington’s Assembly Hall on March 14, where the mayor will give out certificates of achievement.
Ben Kinsella Award and Mayor’s Civic Award: ‘Recognise people’s selfless commitment to others’