Ben Kinsella Award and Mayor’s Civic Awards 2019: Nominate and celebrate ‘people’s selfless commitment and dedication’
- Credit: Archant
Readers can now nominate Islington’s most inspirational adults and young people for the Mayor’s Civic Award and Ben Kinsella Award.
The annual awards celebrate the every day altruism, achievements and good deeds that help create a kinder Islington for everyone.
The Ben Kinsella Award, an eponymous commemoration of the Holloway schoolboy who was tragically stabbed to death, goes to a remarkable young person, under the age of 18.
It honours role models in the community, who may have overcome personal adversity, and always give their all for others.
In a joint statement the Kinsella family said: “This Ben Kinsella Award salutes the kindness, self-sacrifice and good work done by young people to help and enrich the lives of others.
You may also want to watch:
“The Kinsella family hope that this award will inspire many more young people to make positive contributions to their community.”
Last year’s recipient, Artur Ahmati, scooped the gong for helping the Child Active Involvement Service, which tries to improve the lives of youngsters in care.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
The year before it went to an inspirational cadet, Sgt Sarah Adegboyega.
The Mayor’s Civic Award acknowledges the contributions made by volunteers, campaigners and fundraisers to create positive change in the community.
The mayor of Islington, Cllr Dave Poyser said: “It is the people of Islington that truly make our borough the welcoming and caring community it is.
“The awards are a chance to show that the borough appreciates and recognises people’s selfless commitment and dedication.
“It is a chance to come together to celebrate and thank those who work tirelessly for the benefit of others.”
If you would like to nominate someone to receive either a Civic Award or the Ben Kinsella Award use the link online at: islington.gov.uk/about-the-council/who-we-are/how-the-council-works/the-mayor/mayors-civic-award and complete the application form.
Nominations close on Friday 18 January 2019.
And winners will be announced at a glitzy ceremony in Islington’s Assembly Hall on March 14, where the mayor will give out certificates of achievement.
Ben Kinsella Award and Mayor’s Civic Award: ‘Recognise people’s selfless commitment to others’