MBE foster carers who made ‘huge difference’ in Islington enjoy day out at Buckingham Palace
- Credit: Press Association Images
Two foster carers paid a visit to Buckingham Palace on Friday after being made MBEs for their years of dedicated work in Islington.
Since 2003 Anjana and Krushnah Appiah have cared for 12 children of all backgrounds and religions, and with disabilities and health issues. They’ve also mentored other foster workers.
They were both very nervous to be given their medals by Prince Charles, but Anjana said they had an amazing day.
She said: “The staff at the palace were very warm and friendly which helped put us at ease. We also enjoyed meeting the other recipients.
“When we first heard the news we were shocked, but it was a pleasant surprise. We were not aware these awards were given to foster carers.”
You may also want to watch:
She continued: “For us fostering has been a rewarding experience, watching sick children get better with our care and love and seeing babies grow into toddlers and move on to adoption. We feel that we were able to offer them a good start to their childhood and help build their character.
“We would recommend fostering. Watching a child grow and develop is a blessed experience for me.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
Islington’s children’s boss Cllr Joe Caluori, said: “Mr and Mrs Appiah have made a huge, positive difference to the lives of many people in Islington, always putting the needs of foster children before their own needs.
“We’re very grateful for their years of service, and they richly deserve these honours.”
The town hall is looking for people interested in becoming foster carers.
If you are interested in making the difference to a local young life please call Islington Fostering on 0800 073 0428, or email email@example.com.