Mesut Ozil handed coveted Arsenal No10 shirt after Jack Wilshere departure
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Mesut Ozil will wear the coveted No 10 shirt for Arsenal during the 2018-19 season – taking over the number from Jack Wilshere, who has left the club.
The Germany international has worn the No 11 shirt since joining the club in 2013 but will switch for the upcoming campaign.
Ozil, who had a disappointing World Cup with Joachim Low’s mannschaft after they were knocked out in the group stages, is looking forward to the new season at the Emirates.
Speaking to Arsenal.com on Tuesday the 29-year-old creative midfielder said; “It has never been a secret how special this number is to me.
“My childhood idol Zinedine Zidane wore this number and it is still the most characteristic one for the playmaker position.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to putting it on for the first time at Arsenal after the summer break.”
It has been a busy summer at Emery’s Emirates, with the new head coach bringing three new players in Stephan Lichtsteiner, Benrd Leno and Sokratis.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
The club also announced defender Calum Chambers has signed a long-term contract extension.
Follow Gunners reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29 and join the the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page.