Mesut Ozil handed coveted Arsenal No10 shirt after Jack Wilshere departure
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Mesut Ozil will wear the coveted No 10 shirt for Arsenal during the 2018-19 season – taking over the number from Jack Wilshere, who has left the club.
The Germany international has worn the No 11 shirt since joining the club in 2013 but will switch for the upcoming campaign.
Ozil, who had a disappointing World Cup with Joachim Low’s mannschaft after they were knocked out in the group stages, is looking forward to the new season at the Emirates.
Speaking to Arsenal.com on Tuesday the 29-year-old creative midfielder said; “It has never been a secret how special this number is to me.
“My childhood idol Zinedine Zidane wore this number and it is still the most characteristic one for the playmaker position.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to putting it on for the first time at Arsenal after the summer break.”
It has been a busy summer at Emery’s Emirates, with the new head coach bringing three new players in Stephan Lichtsteiner, Benrd Leno and Sokratis.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
The club also announced defender Calum Chambers has signed a long-term contract extension.
Follow Gunners reporter Layth on Twitter @laythy29 and join the the Islington Gazette Arsenal Facebook page.