Middlesex cricket column: In the Middle with Nick Compton
It’s great being back at Lord’s, a place that’s close to my heart – but I’m also looking forward to another return home on Sunday.
I haven’t played at Richmond for a long time, but the club did a lot for me when I was a younger guy trying to make my way in the game and I owe a huge amount to them.
They provided me with a home, a safe environment where I knew I’d be supported, and I’m really excited at the thought of going back there for our Twenty20 match against Gloucestershire.
In many ways you get more of an atmosphere playing at a club ground like Richmond – the crowd are much closer to the action and three or four thousand people can make you feel like you’re in a packed stadium.
So far we’ve been a bit up and down in the T20 – we’ve had some good performances but not as many as we’d like.
You may also want to watch:
A couple of overs at the death have gone for too many runs, equally there have been some where we haven’t taken full advantage with the bat, and those are the margins that can decide T20 matches.
But I think we look a better one-day side – the addition of people like James Franklin and Kyle Abbott, with his fantastic skills at the death, has made a big difference and I’m confident we’ll continue to improve.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 3 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 4 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 7 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
There’s a core of players in this side with a lot of ability, but there’s a long way to go before we reach our full potential – it’s early days yet and I’m enjoying the chance to contribute.
It’s always more enjoyable if you’re scoring a few runs and I feel I’ve been in good form overall.
We’ve played on some tricky wickets and I’ve had to use my experience and nous to dig out a score, which in those circumstances is all the more pleasing really.