Middlesex cricket column: In the Middle with Nick Compton
It’s great being back at Lord’s, a place that’s close to my heart – but I’m also looking forward to another return home on Sunday.
I haven’t played at Richmond for a long time, but the club did a lot for me when I was a younger guy trying to make my way in the game and I owe a huge amount to them.
They provided me with a home, a safe environment where I knew I’d be supported, and I’m really excited at the thought of going back there for our Twenty20 match against Gloucestershire.
In many ways you get more of an atmosphere playing at a club ground like Richmond – the crowd are much closer to the action and three or four thousand people can make you feel like you’re in a packed stadium.
So far we’ve been a bit up and down in the T20 – we’ve had some good performances but not as many as we’d like.
You may also want to watch:
A couple of overs at the death have gone for too many runs, equally there have been some where we haven’t taken full advantage with the bat, and those are the margins that can decide T20 matches.
But I think we look a better one-day side – the addition of people like James Franklin and Kyle Abbott, with his fantastic skills at the death, has made a big difference and I’m confident we’ll continue to improve.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
There’s a core of players in this side with a lot of ability, but there’s a long way to go before we reach our full potential – it’s early days yet and I’m enjoying the chance to contribute.
It’s always more enjoyable if you’re scoring a few runs and I feel I’ve been in good form overall.
We’ve played on some tricky wickets and I’ve had to use my experience and nous to dig out a score, which in those circumstances is all the more pleasing really.