Middlesex cricketer’s column: The way it seams
After the frustration of not quite managing to get through in the t20, our County Championship win over Durham turned the week into a really positive one.
The boys’ performance against a strong Durham team spoke volumes for the spirit we’ve got in the camp, and we’re seriously in contention now.
Bowlers do win you games. Taking 20 wickets is what it’s all about and we’ve done that again.
With some teams, batsmen might feel they’ve got an easy run of it when certain bowlers take a rest. But there seems to be no let-up with our attack – everybody’s providing control and taking wickets.
Hopefully I’ll be back in the frame to be part of that attack on Sunday and Monday. I’ve been fit for a little while, but I came back too soon once before.
I’m playing for the second XI at the moment and it’s just about making sure I’ve got the level needed to dive back into a game. We’re still very much in contention in the YB40 if we can get a couple of wins.
It’d be great to be picked for Monday’s game at Cardiff, against my old club Glamorgan – although I have to admit it’ll feel slightly strange to stroll into the away dressing-room.
- 1 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 2 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 3 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 4 'Reclaiming public spaces': Islington's free nonconformist street party
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 MP steps in to get Ukrainian violinist to concert with Islington orchestra
- 7 Concerts to be held across Islington as festival returns.
- 8 Bullying and absence concerns see City of London Academy Highgate Hill get ‘requires improvement’ Ofsted
- 9 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 10 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
I spent a lot of time with those guys and I know a fair bit about them, but it works the other way as well and I’m sure they’ll have a good idea of how I’m likely to bowl.
In the week the Ashes were retained, and it was good to hear that Sam Robson’s now qualified to play for England. He’s in the middle of a very good season and the runs he’s scored have put us in strong positions so often.
When the Rogers-Robson combination was going on earlier in the season, we did wonder if a call might have gone in to get Sam into the Australian team as well!
The way he’s taken on the Rogers mantle, blunting the best bowlers around, proves what a fantastic prospect he is – for club and country.