Middlesex race to bag McLaren
MIDDLESEX have brought in all-rounder Ryan McLaren to replace fellow South African Tyron Henderson for their Twenty20 campaign this summer.
McLaren, who has just turned 28, will be available for all of the Panthers’ t20 fixtures this season, and should fill the slot occupied by Henderson in recent years.
The all-rounder previously played alongside current Middlesex captain Neil Dexter for Kent Spitfires, taking a hat-trick to help them to victory over Gloucestershire in the 2007 t20 final.
However, McLaren – who has represented South Africa 10 times in one-day internationals – finished on the losing side when Middlesex claimed the trophy the following year.
He has also appeared in one Test, an innings victory over England at Johannesburg a year ago, and featured for Mumbai Indians in the last two Indian Premier League seasons.
“Ryan is an extremely good cricketer who is unlucky not to be in South Africa’s World Cup squad,” said Middlesex director of cricket Angus Fraser.
“He offers explosive hitting when batting, experience and nous when he has the ball in his hand and energy and athleticism in the field. We are looking forward to welcoming him to Lord’s.”
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 3 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 4 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 5 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 6 Former Met cop faces trial with seven others over alleged bribery plot
- 7 Deadline extended for Islington's greener futures fund
- 8 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 9 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 10 Arsenal Women welcome signings Souza, Blackstenius and Wienroither
The Panthers get their t20 challenge under way on Friday June 3 against Glamorgan in Cardiff, with their first home fixture against Essex Eagles at Lord’s a week later.