Mob ‘armed with machetes’ seen chasing rival group near Essex Road
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A large gang of men brandishing “machetes” chased another group of people through the streets of Canonbury on Saturday, the Gazette understands.
Police arrived at the scene, off Essex Road, within minutes - and the knife-wielding mob reportedly scattered on seeing them.
One man, whose age has not yet been disclosed, was arrested in connection to the incident and police found a large hunting knife nearby, which they suspect someone chucked.
A S60 order was authorised by a senior police officer for the areas of N1, N5, N7, WC1 and EC1 from Saturday evening until Sunday morning.
This allowed police officers to stop and search any person or vehicle without reasonable suspicion.
You may also want to watch:
Did you see what happened? Call Lucas at the Gazette newsdesk on 07785 616244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade