Mob ‘armed with machetes’ seen chasing rival group near Essex Road
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A large gang of men brandishing “machetes” chased another group of people through the streets of Canonbury on Saturday, the Gazette understands.
Police arrived at the scene, off Essex Road, within minutes - and the knife-wielding mob reportedly scattered on seeing them.
One man, whose age has not yet been disclosed, was arrested in connection to the incident and police found a large hunting knife nearby, which they suspect someone chucked.
A S60 order was authorised by a senior police officer for the areas of N1, N5, N7, WC1 and EC1 from Saturday evening until Sunday morning.
This allowed police officers to stop and search any person or vehicle without reasonable suspicion.
You may also want to watch:
Did you see what happened? Call Lucas at the Gazette newsdesk on 07785 616244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park