More than half of Islington Green Party’s council candidates are women
- Credit: Archant
Islington Green Party has announced its 48 candidates running for council elections in May – 25 of whom are women.
This year will be the first time that the local council and European elections are held on the same day.
The party is hoping that Green MEP for London, Jean Lambert, will also be re-selected.
During the 2010 council election, more than 20,000 people voted Green, but the party said it was hoping to do even better this year and supporters have been out campaigning in the community.
The party’s only green councillor, Katie Dawson, was elected in 2006 – but missed out on a seat in 2010 despite receiving more than 2,000 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Visitislington.greenparty.org.uk to view the full list of candidates.
Council elections take place on May 22.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital