More than half of Islington Green Party’s council candidates are women
- Credit: Archant
Islington Green Party has announced its 48 candidates running for council elections in May – 25 of whom are women.
This year will be the first time that the local council and European elections are held on the same day.
The party is hoping that Green MEP for London, Jean Lambert, will also be re-selected.
During the 2010 council election, more than 20,000 people voted Green, but the party said it was hoping to do even better this year and supporters have been out campaigning in the community.
The party’s only green councillor, Katie Dawson, was elected in 2006 – but missed out on a seat in 2010 despite receiving more than 2,000 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Visitislington.greenparty.org.uk to view the full list of candidates.
Council elections take place on May 22.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington