Mother and daughter team appeal for funding for Islington-based film
- Credit: Archant
A creative mother and daughter duo are looking for funds to help turn their film-making dream into a reality.
Janina Samoles and Cleo Samoles-Little have teamed up to produce a film about a youngster growing up in Islington – but they need the generosity of local residents to help finance it.
Budding director Cleo, 26, of Ball’s Pond Road, wrote the short film, which focuses on an 11-year-old living on an Islington council estate.
The drama, titled Gold, is the first film written by Cleo, and she drew from on her own childhood experiences as the basis for the story. She said: “I got involved with an odd crowd when I was at school – and I saw some very strange situations at the parties I used to go to.
“This inspired the script, which revolves around a little girl called Sammy. With her single mum working late most nights, Sammy channels her loneliness into her unusual bond towards her pet goldfish. However pathetic a pet that may seem, it’s her sense of security and it means everything to her.
“We really want it to be a beautiful film, and we know it’s got the potential to be. But for that we have to put money into it.”
Cleo, who studied film production at the Northern Film School, part of Leeds Metropolitan University, said: “I wrote the script in my last year of university, and once I’d decided on an ending for the story, we started searching online for crew and actors. We had loads of interest, but because we have no budget we had to audition people at our family home.
- 1 Man arrested, cyclist seriously injured after alleged hit and run
- 2 Woman harassed by Claudia Webbe wanted MP 'to be humiliated'
- 3 MP Claudia Webbe loses harassment conviction appeal - but sentence reduced
- 4 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 5 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 6 Mother Clucker! Fried chicken restaurant to open in Upper Street
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“We’ve got some great actors on board, and the lead role is being played by a 13-year-old called Ellie Bindman, who’s really amazing.
“We’re working on putting together a high-quality crew, but the funding for everything else will be coming out of our own pockets. We’re begging and borrowing from friends, but the quality of the film really depends on what kind of equipment we can get.”
Cleo’s mum Janina, 50, has taken on the role of creative producer. She said: “I really loved the story, and as I have a film background myself, I thought it would be great to work with Cleo on this project. But we still need to raise around £2,500, and we’re also looking for a few key members of the crew.”
Cleo, a former Camden School for Girls student, added: “It can be tough collaborating with anyone on a film, but I’m really happy I got to work with my mum. She’s given me some great advice and I really trust her. We’re definitely on the same page, and we bounce ideas off each other.”
To find out more and help fund the film, visit www.indiegogo.com/projects/gold-a-short-film