My Holloway barber’s a cut above the rest, says Dizzee Rascal
�An unassuming hairdressers in Holloway that has a client list to match many West End salons is a firm favourite with rapper Dizzee Rascal.
D and L’s Barbers, in Hornsey Road, Holloway, counts the grime supremo among a number of famous clients, including footballers Jermain Penant, Jerome Thomas and Jay Bothroyd, American singer Bobby Valentino and Kidulthood star Adam Deacon.
Mr Rascal, who visited the barbers as part of his Your Britain project for search engine Bing, said: “Nothing compares to the little local places, like this barbers in London. I still go there because I love catching up with my barber and hearing about the old crew.
“My mate Damon owns it and has cut my hair before every album cover shoot I’ve done - he’s a talented man. I like the routine of going there.”
Mark Maciver, 23, a hairdresser at D and L’s who goes by the name of Slider Cuts, said: “Dizzee has been coming here for five or six years and he gets a number one skin all over.
You may also want to watch:
“Damon, used to cut the hair of his tour DJ, Semtex. He asked him to cut Dizzee’s hair at the same time and the rest is history. Damon normally cuts his hair, but I do it sometimes as well.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
“I think he comes because he doesn’t get bothered. A couple of times someone has asked for his autograph, but that’s all. It is not a problem for him. It is a nice environment and he gets a good haircut. There are a lot of other well-known people who come to us, like Plan B, DJ Spoony and Flawless. It just seems to have spread via word of mouth.”