My Holloway barber’s a cut above the rest, says Dizzee Rascal
�An unassuming hairdressers in Holloway that has a client list to match many West End salons is a firm favourite with rapper Dizzee Rascal.
D and L’s Barbers, in Hornsey Road, Holloway, counts the grime supremo among a number of famous clients, including footballers Jermain Penant, Jerome Thomas and Jay Bothroyd, American singer Bobby Valentino and Kidulthood star Adam Deacon.
Mr Rascal, who visited the barbers as part of his Your Britain project for search engine Bing, said: “Nothing compares to the little local places, like this barbers in London. I still go there because I love catching up with my barber and hearing about the old crew.
“My mate Damon owns it and has cut my hair before every album cover shoot I’ve done - he’s a talented man. I like the routine of going there.”
Mark Maciver, 23, a hairdresser at D and L’s who goes by the name of Slider Cuts, said: “Dizzee has been coming here for five or six years and he gets a number one skin all over.
You may also want to watch:
“Damon, used to cut the hair of his tour DJ, Semtex. He asked him to cut Dizzee’s hair at the same time and the rest is history. Damon normally cuts his hair, but I do it sometimes as well.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
“I think he comes because he doesn’t get bothered. A couple of times someone has asked for his autograph, but that’s all. It is not a problem for him. It is a nice environment and he gets a good haircut. There are a lot of other well-known people who come to us, like Plan B, DJ Spoony and Flawless. It just seems to have spread via word of mouth.”