My Holloway barber’s a cut above the rest, says Dizzee Rascal
�An unassuming hairdressers in Holloway that has a client list to match many West End salons is a firm favourite with rapper Dizzee Rascal.
D and L’s Barbers, in Hornsey Road, Holloway, counts the grime supremo among a number of famous clients, including footballers Jermain Penant, Jerome Thomas and Jay Bothroyd, American singer Bobby Valentino and Kidulthood star Adam Deacon.
Mr Rascal, who visited the barbers as part of his Your Britain project for search engine Bing, said: “Nothing compares to the little local places, like this barbers in London. I still go there because I love catching up with my barber and hearing about the old crew.
“My mate Damon owns it and has cut my hair before every album cover shoot I’ve done - he’s a talented man. I like the routine of going there.”
Mark Maciver, 23, a hairdresser at D and L’s who goes by the name of Slider Cuts, said: “Dizzee has been coming here for five or six years and he gets a number one skin all over.
“Damon, used to cut the hair of his tour DJ, Semtex. He asked him to cut Dizzee’s hair at the same time and the rest is history. Damon normally cuts his hair, but I do it sometimes as well.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 3 Arsenal begin pre-season in strong position
- 4 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 7 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 8 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 9 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
“I think he comes because he doesn’t get bothered. A couple of times someone has asked for his autograph, but that’s all. It is not a problem for him. It is a nice environment and he gets a good haircut. There are a lot of other well-known people who come to us, like Plan B, DJ Spoony and Flawless. It just seems to have spread via word of mouth.”