N-Dubz and Taio Cruz help playground clean-up
EIGHTY volunteers working to spruce up an adventure playground got a surprise when Camden hip-hop trio N-Dubz and singer Taio Cruz rolled up to lend a hand. The pop-stars arrived at Lumpy Hill Adventure Playground, in Market Road, Holloway, on Friday to h
EIGHTY volunteers working to spruce up an adventure playground got a surprise when Camden hip-hop trio N-Dubz and singer Taio Cruz rolled up to lend a hand.
The pop-stars arrived at Lumpy Hill Adventure Playground, in Market Road, Holloway, on Friday to help clean the place up after the wear and tear of a summer holiday that saw 100 children visiting a day.
N-Dubz rapper Fazer, real name Richard Rawson, 23, said: "It's great to give something back to the community where we're from."
Singer Tula "Tulisa" Contostavlos, 22, said: "There are probably a lot of people here who know my family members. We love the project. We were here last year and we're back. We feel comfortable here."
The helpers were brought to Lumpy Hill by RockCorps, an initiative sponsored by mobile phone company Orange that promotes volunteering and arranges for people aged 16 and over to give up four hours of their time in exchange for a concert ticket. They were set to see N-Dubz and Taio Cruz perform at the Royal Albert Hall later that night.
People aged 16 to 60 took part and cleaned up the grounds, did some gardening work and repainted the walls. Caroline Benford, 38, a mother of four of the nearby Hyde Village Estate, off North Road, said: "This place means a lot to me. I used to come here as a kid and now I bring my children. They love it."
- 1 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 2 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 3 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 4 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 5 Husband granted right to use late wife's embryo for surrogacy
- 6 Actors present prizes at Islington Education Awards 2022
- 7 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 8 CCTV: Woman sexually assaulted at Highbury & Islington station
- 9 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 10 Caledonian artist attempting to paint 100 London pubs
Ray Arislan, 40, of Caledonian Road, Holloway, who runs dance lessons at the club, said: "This is the heart of the community for children, what they do here is amazing.