Tollington Park scrubs initiative thanks hospital staff with pizzas
- Credit: Lise Gommensen
A scrubs- and mask-making initiative thanked frontline workers at Whittington Hospital by collaborating with a local pizzeria to deliver them 145 pizzas.
N4 Cutting Hub has produced more than 6,000 masks and more than 2,000 scrubs sets since April 2020, when the pandemic took hold in the UK.
Myka Baum, who set up the group, wanted to show more appreciation for workers at her local hospital after becoming disheartened by how she feels the NHS has been less celebrated in the recent period of the pandemic.
The Stroud Green resident was galvanised by a Facebook post by an NHS staff member who “expressed that he was feeling forgotten” after initiatives like Clap for Our Carers halted.
She reached out to Pizzeria Pappagone, on Stroud Green Road, to find more ways to thank the frontline workers.
You may also want to watch:
Myka said: “I knew that Pappagone, the local pizza place in Stroud Green, had done pizza donations in the first lockdown.”
In “pizzamobiles”, N4 Cutting Hub volunteers delivered two carloads of pizzas to staff at the Whittington Hospital just before Christmas.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
“Staff were really appreciative”, said Myka.
They also spent spare funds on gifting panettone and chocolates to the emergency departments.
N4 Cutting Hub volunteers said hospital staff “were saying how much of a difference these things make to staff morale”.
They are also making more pizza deliveries to the hospital this week.
In a statement on Twitter, the N4 Cutting Hub said: "Please know that you [frontline staff] continue to be utterly indispensable, and that we are forever in awe of your tenacious commitment to keeping us safe and healthy, and that your every hour of work will always be greatly appreciated by everyone in our community, whether during Covid or in 'normal times'."
Since April 1 last year, N4 Cutting Hub volunteers have produced scrubs for organisations including the Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust, East Anglia's Children's Hospice, North London Hospice, St Anne's Nursing Home, Whittington Health NHS Trust.
It is based in St Mellitus Church in Tollington Park.
To donate to the N4 Cutting Hub and support its work, visit https://www.n4cuttinghub.