Tollington Park scrubs initiative thanks hospital staff with pizzas
- Credit: Lise Gommensen
A scrubs- and mask-making initiative thanked frontline workers at Whittington Hospital by collaborating with a local pizzeria to deliver them 145 pizzas.
N4 Cutting Hub has produced more than 6,000 masks and more than 2,000 scrubs sets since April 2020, when the pandemic took hold in the UK.
Myka Baum, who set up the group, wanted to show more appreciation for workers at her local hospital after becoming disheartened by how she feels the NHS has been less celebrated in the recent period of the pandemic.
The Stroud Green resident was galvanised by a Facebook post by an NHS staff member who “expressed that he was feeling forgotten” after initiatives like Clap for Our Carers halted.
She reached out to Pizzeria Pappagone, on Stroud Green Road, to find more ways to thank the frontline workers.
You may also want to watch:
Myka said: “I knew that Pappagone, the local pizza place in Stroud Green, had done pizza donations in the first lockdown.”
In “pizzamobiles”, N4 Cutting Hub volunteers delivered two carloads of pizzas to staff at the Whittington Hospital just before Christmas.
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
“Staff were really appreciative”, said Myka.
They also spent spare funds on gifting panettone and chocolates to the emergency departments.
N4 Cutting Hub volunteers said hospital staff “were saying how much of a difference these things make to staff morale”.
They are also making more pizza deliveries to the hospital this week.
In a statement on Twitter, the N4 Cutting Hub said: "Please know that you [frontline staff] continue to be utterly indispensable, and that we are forever in awe of your tenacious commitment to keeping us safe and healthy, and that your every hour of work will always be greatly appreciated by everyone in our community, whether during Covid or in 'normal times'."
Since April 1 last year, N4 Cutting Hub volunteers have produced scrubs for organisations including the Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust, East Anglia's Children's Hospice, North London Hospice, St Anne's Nursing Home, Whittington Health NHS Trust.
It is based in St Mellitus Church in Tollington Park.
To donate to the N4 Cutting Hub and support its work, visit https://www.n4cuttinghub.