Napoli fightback can be springboard for Arsenal to beat Galatasaray, says defender
- Credit: PA
Per Mertesacker feels Arsenal’s second-half comeback against Napoli will set them up perfectly for Sunday’s potentially decisive Emirates Cup clash with Galatasaray.
The Gunners kept their hopes of winning the tournament alive as they retrieved a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 with Napoli thanks to goals from Olivier Giroud and Laurent Koscielny.
Lukas Podolski had a penalty saved by Pepe Reina in between goals for Lorenzo Insigne and Goran Pandev as the Italian side took a 2-0 lead in the first half hour.
“I think it took us a bit of time to get used to everything – to feel at home again,” Mertesacker admitted. “Especially in the second half we went on the front foot and started to play and create more chances.
“It’s just a draw, but the way we came back in the second half was amazing and I think we have to keep focused on the next game.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to win the tournament. They [Galatasaray] won today and we watched their first game, so we know what we have to do.”
Galatasaray’s 1-0 victory over Porto means Arsenal will have to beat the Turkish champions to stand a chance of winning the trophy when the teams meet at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Letter: 'Highbury roundabout is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 8 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
Napoli meet Porto in the earlier game (2pm kick-off) before Arsenal face Galatasaray at 4.20pm.