Napoli fightback can be springboard for Arsenal to beat Galatasaray, says defender
- Credit: PA
Per Mertesacker feels Arsenal’s second-half comeback against Napoli will set them up perfectly for Sunday’s potentially decisive Emirates Cup clash with Galatasaray.
The Gunners kept their hopes of winning the tournament alive as they retrieved a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 with Napoli thanks to goals from Olivier Giroud and Laurent Koscielny.
Lukas Podolski had a penalty saved by Pepe Reina in between goals for Lorenzo Insigne and Goran Pandev as the Italian side took a 2-0 lead in the first half hour.
“I think it took us a bit of time to get used to everything – to feel at home again,” Mertesacker admitted. “Especially in the second half we went on the front foot and started to play and create more chances.
“It’s just a draw, but the way we came back in the second half was amazing and I think we have to keep focused on the next game.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to win the tournament. They [Galatasaray] won today and we watched their first game, so we know what we have to do.”
Galatasaray’s 1-0 victory over Porto means Arsenal will have to beat the Turkish champions to stand a chance of winning the trophy when the teams meet at Emirates Stadium on Sunday.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 10 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
Napoli meet Porto in the earlier game (2pm kick-off) before Arsenal face Galatasaray at 4.20pm.