Neighbourhood party raises £600 for Age UK Islington
- Credit: Archant
Jiving lessons and a cake baking competition were just some of the activities laid on for Age UK Islington’s first ever fundraising event.
Around 150 people attended a neighbourhood party held at the charity’s centre in Manor Gardens, Holloway.
As well as free line-dancing and jive lessons, visitors enjoyed home-made food and played a tombola.
The event was also an opportunity for residents to meet one another and for older people in the area to find out more about the charity’s work and how they can benefit.
The highlight of the day was a neighbourhood bake-off where residents pitted themselves against one another to see who could make the tastiest cake.
You may also want to watch:
In the end it was a Guinness flavoured creation which impressed the judges the most, made by one of the younger male entrants.
The party was organised by 29-year-old volunteer Hong-Lan Doan, of nearby Axminster Road, who wanted to do something for her neighbours, along with the charity’s local community fundraiser, Natalie Morris.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
Ms Morris said: “It was a great event and we were so pleased to see some of our neighbours get together to bake cakes and learn about the work we do and the support residents can give in the future.”
A total of £600 was raised from the day which will go towards supporting the charity’s work in the area.
For more information about upcoming events and how people can volunteer, visit ageuk.org.uk/islington