Neighbourhood party raises £600 for Age UK Islington
- Credit: Archant
Jiving lessons and a cake baking competition were just some of the activities laid on for Age UK Islington’s first ever fundraising event.
Around 150 people attended a neighbourhood party held at the charity’s centre in Manor Gardens, Holloway.
As well as free line-dancing and jive lessons, visitors enjoyed home-made food and played a tombola.
The event was also an opportunity for residents to meet one another and for older people in the area to find out more about the charity’s work and how they can benefit.
The highlight of the day was a neighbourhood bake-off where residents pitted themselves against one another to see who could make the tastiest cake.
You may also want to watch:
In the end it was a Guinness flavoured creation which impressed the judges the most, made by one of the younger male entrants.
The party was organised by 29-year-old volunteer Hong-Lan Doan, of nearby Axminster Road, who wanted to do something for her neighbours, along with the charity’s local community fundraiser, Natalie Morris.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 7 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Teyah Goldie, 16, makes Arsenal squad for north London derby
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
Ms Morris said: “It was a great event and we were so pleased to see some of our neighbours get together to bake cakes and learn about the work we do and the support residents can give in the future.”
A total of £600 was raised from the day which will go towards supporting the charity’s work in the area.
For more information about upcoming events and how people can volunteer, visit ageuk.org.uk/islington