Neighbours of Highbury church oppose new hall, saying Islington ‘has enough community space already’
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours of a Highbury church are objecting to plans for a new hall and cafe on its grounds, saying there’s enough community space in the borough already.
Christ Church’s planning application to build a single-storey block has had to be referred to committee because five people living nearby have complained.
As well as arguing there are already an adequate number of community facilities both in the borough and in Highbury, they say the number of people in the area who will benefit from it is small.
They also feel the proposal is “out of keeping with the conservation area and harmful to the setting of the church”, which is Grade-II listed, and that a new cafe would divert business away from Oasis in the Park.
The building in Highbury Grove would house a new church and community centre, and will contain a main hall, two offices, a kitchen and a café with a serving hatch into Highbury Fields.
You may also want to watch:
Islington’s planners say it should be approved, though. They said: “The proposed development, particularly the provision of additional community space, is welcomed in principle, and would represent a significant improvement to this part of the church premises, which is unsightly.”
A decision will be made on Tuesday next week.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal