Neighbours say giving Upper Street Shell garage 24/7 licence will fuel anti-social behaviour
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours of the Shell garage in Upper Street say allowing it to open 24/7 will only fuel anti-social behaviour in the area.
The petrol station also wants a licence to sell booze from 8am to 11pm every day – but the application has not gone down well.
“I sleep every night with earplugs,” said one woman who lives nearby. “Someone walking past on the pavement is about 8 feet from my pillow. And the simple fact is I already am unable to guarantee an undisturbed night’s sleep, but there is some quieting when the garage shuts up for the night.
“The last thing I need is a 24 hour garage as a 24 hour fuel pit stop and what effectively amounts to a 24 hour bar and cafe opposite my home.”
The neighbour added that recently she was woken up at 1am by a motorbike revving its engine for 30 minutes, and by a member of staff “using the Tannoy system to speak to a customer”.
You may also want to watch:
Another of the 18 neighbours to complain, said: “It seems to me completely at odds with the ethos of a petrol station to sell alcohol to drivers.”
A decision will be made by the licensing sub-committee on Tuesday.
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing