Neighbours say giving Upper Street Shell garage 24/7 licence will fuel anti-social behaviour
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours of the Shell garage in Upper Street say allowing it to open 24/7 will only fuel anti-social behaviour in the area.
The petrol station also wants a licence to sell booze from 8am to 11pm every day – but the application has not gone down well.
“I sleep every night with earplugs,” said one woman who lives nearby. “Someone walking past on the pavement is about 8 feet from my pillow. And the simple fact is I already am unable to guarantee an undisturbed night’s sleep, but there is some quieting when the garage shuts up for the night.
“The last thing I need is a 24 hour garage as a 24 hour fuel pit stop and what effectively amounts to a 24 hour bar and cafe opposite my home.”
The neighbour added that recently she was woken up at 1am by a motorbike revving its engine for 30 minutes, and by a member of staff “using the Tannoy system to speak to a customer”.
You may also want to watch:
Another of the 18 neighbours to complain, said: “It seems to me completely at odds with the ethos of a petrol station to sell alcohol to drivers.”
A decision will be made by the licensing sub-committee on Tuesday.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'