New Finsbury Park theatre gets go-ahead
A NEW theatre is set to give Finsbury Park a cultural boost after being given the go-ahead by Islington Council.
The Park Theatre, in Clifton Terrace, will open in 2012 after its planning application was approved last week.
Artistic director Jez Bond, who is leading the project, said: “There are no theatres at all in the area at the moment but lots of theatre groups and actors who live and meet in the area with no professional space to use.”
Mr Bond acquired the disused office building in December 2009 after a four-year search for a venue.
Speaking after last week’s news that Arts Council funding will be cut by 30 per cent by 2015, he added: “Theatre is not built out of necessity or through finance or legislation – it is borne and run through passion. Nothing is going to quash our vision.”
You may also want to watch:
MP for Islington North Jeremy Corbyn said: “I have every confidence this venture could make a significant contribution to the vitality of Finsbury Park.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant