New Indian restaurant bowling over the people of Barnsbury
TALENTED chef Bhola S Kunwar shows off some of his contemporary Indian creations which are bowling over the people of Barnsbury.
Mr Kunwar opened up Roots at N1, in Hemingford Road, in February with fellow restaurant experts and cricketing team-mates Harsh Joshi and Rohit Bisht – and their ultra-modern cuisine has hit local people for six.
The building was formerly the Huntingdon Arms and then The Cuckoo – but in its new guise it is packed out most evenings and last week it welcomed Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochar for the official opening.
Mr Bisht said: “We serve up contemporary Indian cuisine with a twist – and presentation is key.
“We play cricket together, have worked together and belong to the same place in India, so we have aptly named our restaurant Roots.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a pub before it closed down, but Barnsbury seemed the perfect location for what we wanted to do. We are very happy with the choice.”
Picture by DIETER PERRY
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 8 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?